MMW | July '19


It's been, what, more than a two years since my last movie wrap-up? It was pretty funny how I titled it as monthly when numerous months passed after my last one. I was pretty busy with school stuff and then work so I couldn't really update this blog but I wanted to revive this with my spare time, limited as it is. Anyway, without further ado, here are the movies I've watched this July:

Spider-man: Far from Home (2019)

Directed by: Jon Watts
Written by: Chris McKenna & Erik Sommers
Running time: 129 minutes
My rating: 9/10

My thoughts and whatnot: This movie was one of the few movies that I anticipated this year and this is definitely worth the wait (and hype!). This is surprisingly great - because as we all know, sequels don't particularly live up to the first one. The actors playing the main characters really did a great job in playing out their characters, especially Tom Holland (Peter Parker/Spider-man) and Jake Gyllehall (Quentin Beck/Mysterio). This film is sprinkled with easter eggs, the mid-credits scene has such an amazing cameo (?) and plot twist we didn't know we wanted.
Note: This is nothing new, but stay until the end because there are post & mid-credits scene. I watched this twice in theater and no one seems to want to wait until the end let alone the mid-credits scene.


The King of Comedy* (1982)

Directed by: Martin Scorsese
Written by: Paul D. Zimmerman
Running time: 109 minutes
My rating: 7/10

My thoughts and whatnot: Robert de Niro is a phenomenal actor, that's all I got to say to this movie.
Favorite quote from this movie. Tomorrow you'll know I wasn't kidding and you'll all think I'm crazy. But I figure it this way: better to be king for a night, than a schmuck for a lifetime.

Us (2019)

Directed & Written by: Jordan Peele
Running time: 116 minutes
My rating: 5/10

My thoughts and whatnot: I don't know why but this movie is so underwhelming for me. I was not surprised or, at the very least, thrilled with what happened in this. For me, it's good but not really great. Sorry!

Hellraiser (1987)

Directed & Written by: Clive Barker
Running time: 93 minutes
My rating: 5/10

My thoughts and whatnot: I first watched Hellraiser: Judgment last year and it was the type of movie that grossed me out so much I wanted to know more about it. That's why I decided to watch "marathon" this movie franchise. The story was so different from what I expected it to be so I was disappointed. Needless to say, I didn't watch the whole franchise after this lol (maybe some other time).

Miss Granny (2018)

Directed by: Joyce E. Bernal
Written by: Jinky Laurel
Running time: 114 minutes
My rating: 8/10

My thoughts and whatnot: This movie is a remake of a Korean film of the same name. I haven't watched the original film but this movie is awesome. The opening scene was so poignant it drew me in. They did a great job in casting the actors for the characters because they played their roles really well.

War Machine (2017)

Directed & Written by: David Michôd
Running time: 122 minutes
My rating: 5/10

My thoughts and whatnot: I, honestly, didn't understood much of this movie so I'm refraining from giving much thoughts on this lol

Eerie (2019)

Directed by: Mikhail Red
Written by: Mariah Reodica & Mikhail Red & Rae Red
Running time: 101 minutes
My rating: 6/10

My thoughts and whatnot: One of the *very* few movies that have a calm and level-headed protagonist. Seriously. This made the non-eerie part really boring (a.k.a. the first half) but the other part were eerie *wink wink* I really liked that they did not rely on jump scare to make this movie, well, scary.


* included on 1001 Must Watch Movies Before You Die

At the time of this posting (August 1st), I'm in the middle of watching To the Bone in Netflix so that'll be in my next wrap-up. Hopefully, I can still update this lol. Anyway, that's all for now, folks. Laters!
- mj (•‾⌣‾•)Ùˆ ̑̑♡

0 comments