Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson







TITLE: The Kiss of Deception
AUTHOR/S: Mary E. Pearson
PUBLICATION DATE: July 8TH 2014
MY RATING: ★★★★★


Princess Lia, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan, was arranged to marry someone she had never met to secure a political alliance. Fed up with the prearranged life, she fled, in the day of her wedding, to a distant village. She established a new life in the common folk; she met two handsome and curious young men. Little did she know that one of them is the prince she was intended to marry and the other is an assassin sent to kill her. And among all the deceptions fed to her, she must decide what and who to believe especially when everything she believed - and loved - crumbled in her very eyes...

- - - - -

First of all, I love the premise, plot, synopsis of this book. It was freaking genius. It was a brilliant idea, keep us out of the light until the right time (no sarcasm there, I swear).

The first half of the book has a really smooth pace/flow. I generally like how we were given a chapter with perspective of the prince and the assassin without shoving to our faces their identities. But ten chapters before the end of the book, I was so annoyed. There is no more improvement. Some of the scenes are a bit repetitive.

The reason why I gave this only a three stars is because of the characters mainly Arabella a.k.a. Lia. For the first half of the book, I admired her character. She's such a babe sometimes, I have to admit, she's not the typical princess (but let's be honest, every YA princess are not really typical, so what, she's really a typical YA/dystopian princess?). But when she's finally captured by the assassin, she turned from a babe to a freaking bitch faster than saying deception.
Rafe, I like him but really, he's shady.
Kaden, he was deprived of the limelight. How can we understand what he feels when most of the boy chapters are hogged by Rafe?
It irritate me how Lia blame everything to others, especially Kaden. She's unreasonably hard on him or maybe I'm unreasonably hard on Lia, who knows? He has his beliefs and she has hers. He respect hers but why can't she respect his? How dare she felt remorseful of others when they're just standing up to their beliefs? So she can lash out to them when they mock her belief but they can't stand up to theirs? And with that, I'm just done with Lia's character.

Overall, the whole idea of the book is really cool and there's, fun! fun!, plot twists! But I just can't stand the characters. I'm waiting for the sequel so I could read, hopefully, more Kaden chapters.

0 comments